Moving to a new home is exciting and fun, but packing – not so much. If you have lots of “stuff” staring you in the face, it can be hard to know where to start. As experienced Overland Park residential movers, we have a few packing tips to help make the dreaded chore easier.
- Get started. It’s easy to think “why do today what I can put off until tomorrow,” but this only prolongs the inevitable. The truth is, you should start packing a couple of weeks prior to your move. In doing so, you can go at a slower pace and pack a couple of boxes each day rather than being faced with packing dozens of boxes a day or two before the move.
- Pack up one room at a time. Throwing things from several rooms into a single box is only going to result in chaos when you arrive at your new home. Pack each room separately, and label the cartons/boxes clearly with the room and content description.
- Transport heirlooms and valuables yourself. It isn’t a good idea to move legal documents, family heirlooms, or extremely valuable goods on a moving truck. There are certain things you can move in your own vehicle, which may even help you avoid boxing everything you own up.
- Protect breakable items. For dishes, ceramic or glass knick-knacks, or other breakable items, use plenty of paper bunched up in between the items as padding. It’s also a good idea to stack plates on their sides with padding in between, rather than flat in the box.
- Use quilted furniture pads for protection of larger items. A large mirror for a dresser, expensive art for the walls, televisions – larger breakable items that are too large for boxes should be carefully wrapped with quilted furniture pads for protection.
- Use boxes designed for moving rather than dirty boxes from the supermarket, and put heavier items in smaller boxes for easier lifting.
For more tips or help with your Overland Park residential moving needs, contact Metrowide Movers today at 913-681-7700 or visit us online at www.metrowidemoversks.com.